Thunderbird crashing while trying to send e-mail (apparently trouble while composing message)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Dec 3 16:54:44 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 13:40 +0100, Michal Schmidt wrote:

> > But it appears in bugzilla as a "low priority" "medium severity" problem.
>
> "Priority" has no standardized meaning. Most maintainers do not use
> this field at all.

Policy on this is:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/BugStatusWorkFlow#Priority_and_Severity

as Michal said, there is no official definition of Priority, and the
only group entitled to set it is the maintainer(s) of the affected
component; maintainers can choose to use it however they like, or not at
all. Most maintainers don't use it at present.

Severity can be set by initial reporter, triager, or maintainer. It
didn't get set when you reported it because abrt doesn't set this field.
It hasn't been set by a triager yet, because it hasn't been triaged
(thunderbird isn't actually on our priority triage components list; I
don't think anyone's working on triaging tbird bugs at present). And it
hasn't been set by the maintainer because they haven't looked at it yet
(and they may not really care about severity settings either).

Also, as Michal pointed out, you didn't provide any explanation in the
report of when the crash actually happened, or explain that it crashes
every time you send a mail. Even if a triager were to look at it, it
would be impossible to judge a severity based on the information you
provided in the report.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey