F12 updates-testing issue: X flickers and fails to start

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Tue Dec 8 08:33:37 UTC 2009

Hi,

On my laptop, after F12 updates-testing update today, after reboot F
logo shows but then the screen goes dark and starts flickering between
various shades of dark (changing modes?) with intel graphics chipset
(GM965/GL960).  I'm only using 1024x768 resolution. Nomodeset or using
a previous kernel didn't help.  Booting to runlevel 3 and running
system-config-display (--reconfig) resulted in the same.

I've worked around the issue by "yum history undo 1" which rolled
back a couple of hundred packages.

Any idea which package could be the culprit and I should file a bug
against or to isolate it?  Somehow I don't think this is necessarily
an Xorg base or driver issue.