Why pavucontrol is not installed by default?

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Tue Dec 8 19:05:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 12:59 +0100, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 09:51:55AM -0200, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
> > I did a clean install of Fedora 12 and realized
> > that pavucontrol was not installed by default.
> > I have two sound cards and I only got sound when
> > I manually installed pavucontrol and used it.

> > Any reason?

>   pavucontrol is regarded as advance tool, but also partly
> obsolete. Current gnome-volume-control superseded most of
> its functionality: controlling different streams volume,
> switching profile, outputs, fallback devices.

The new gnome-volume-control is so cut-down it's not useful to me. In
the quest to be more Mac-like in removing mixer controls (and not even
having any obvious "advanced" mode), I now have a choice of no audio or
having full volume LFE output *and* whatever mixer level I have set for
the master output. alsamixer works fine, but then I can't use the volume
sliders on my desktop and it gets rather awkward.

I still pine for the days of isapnpdump when I had to do all the heavy
lifting by hand, but it worked 100% of the time.

Jon.