X on UEFI systems.

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun Dec 13 08:15:04 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-12-13 at 10:49 +0300, Vasily Levchenko wrote:

> Right, we still in progress (e.g. VBox 3.1 is failing to load FC12 with ACPI, and it can't load
> Windows Vista and 7/EFI) but with VBox 3.1 with manually edited config runs FC11(i386/x86_64)
> fine.
>

> >> From what I saw in the thread, the bug seems to be that X is assuming
> > the presence of a VGA BIOS, which would seem to be a fairly generic
> > problem that would hit any EFI setup.
>
> I guess real EFI systems has proprietary  drivers + corresponding drivers, e.g. nvidia,
> and there're no serious reasons to use vga bios.

Fedora never assumes the presence of proprietary drivers. When we say we
want EFI to work, we mean with the drivers included in Fedora.

> > AIUI anyway. See Vasily's message
> > of a couple of days ago. But I could be wrong, and also I'm not sure why
> > he's testing with F11 rather than F12 or Rawhide.
>
> About rawhide, could you please give me some pointers on ISO images,
> instructions for kernel compilations (looks like it bit different from compilation of
> vanilla kernels)?

Live images go up nightly here:

http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/

building kernels - well, approaches differ. Personally I tend to grab
the latest .src.rpm, make the changes I want in the spec, build it back
into a .src.rpm and compile with mock.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey