MariaDB and Fedora

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Dec 14 09:37:15 UTC 2009

Le Lun 14 décembre 2009 00:20, Bruno Wolff III a écrit :

> On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 19:02:55 -0200,
>   Henrique Junior <henriquecsj at gmail.com> wrote:
>> By the way, Monty is asking for some "Help saving MySQL" [0].
>
> Monty can just go and fork it. The only limitation is that he won't be
> able to dual license it any more.

Yes, unfortunately a lot of the noise against the SUN/Oracle merger is people
that just want the licensing changed because they can't imagine building a
successful company on GPL software (very sad). The same kind of people
splintered the open source Java community by refusing to help sun when it
GPL-ed the JVM and diverting resources to new projetcs instead.

That being said, Mysql *does* compete with Oracle (not technically, but
commercially very much so, it kills the "use one db everywhere" corp market
paradigm where Oracle is all too happy to count cpus for lots of small Oracle
databases), and this competition relies on the Mysql brand (that finally
managed to reach CTO awareness level), and Oracle getting its hand on the
brand would definitely lower competition for several years (and I don't have
any SAP or other shares).

--
Nicolas Mailhot