x86-64 on i386 (was Re: Promoting i386 version over x86_64?)

Matthew Garrett mjg at redhat.com
Mon Dec 14 18:34:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 05:18:47PM +0000, Paul Jakma wrote:

> For those who can't sort by thread in their MUA: To ask that
> 32-userspace-on-64 be supported (it pretty much all works, except for
> yum updating certain things, like the kernel), as there are definite
> benefits to a 32-by-default userspace.

There's little testing effort done on this. People still occasionally
trip over bugs in the ioctl conversion code in the kernel, and there's a
couple of other cases where exported ABI doesn't get converted
correctly. Now, while it's undeniable that these are bugs that should be
fixed, it's also pretty difficult to justify adding a third x86 variant
to our list of supported configurations, especially when it's known to
be more problematic than the other two that already satisfy almost
everybody's needs.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org