Datacenter, git, and cvs

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at pobox.com
Tue Dec 15 00:55:24 UTC 2009

On 12/14/2009 05:31 PM, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> If done right, the move to git can still service CVS requests in
>> some capacity...  that may make the transition a little less abrupt
>> and painful.
>
> Perhaps.  But git-cvsserver is a rather limited crutch that I can't
> imagine anyone wanting to spend much time on, just to let folks
> continue to use cvs commands directly.
>
> Who knows though, maybe there are more people that actually like cvs
> than I think and they'll volunteer to implement and run such a
> service.

I think of it less as a question of /liking/ CVS, and more an admission
that a global workflow change has real costs for each individual developer.

A "flag day"-style transition is clean and efficient, but often locks
out developers who are not able to march in lock-step with the
transition schedule.

I am very pro-git (naturally, being a kernel developer) and want this
switch, but it nonetheless means my home-written scripts for maintaining
related project packages (cld, chunkd, tabled) must be updated and
tested.  Even without local script updates, developers have to learn new
stuff just to keep functioning at the same level as before.

	Jeff