packages requiring me to reboot...

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Tue Dec 15 17:00:41 UTC 2009

On 12/15/2009 09:54 AM, Seth Vidal wrote:

> Does gdm entirely restart when you logout? I don't believe so. I suspect
> you get the same result by killing X then going back to that runlevel
> but for many many many users a reboot is going to be less error-prone.

Isn't there gdm-restart for that purpose? I don't really know, but I'm
just confused as to why a program that lets me login requires a reboot...

I *really* don't want to sound whiny or anything like that, or be one of
those that compare us to windows... but one of my favorite things from
years ago was that I only had to reboot with a new kernel. Now I feel
like I reboot every update. I mean, even the ibus stuff was stating I
needed a reboot. As far as I know that is used for alternative language
input, which I don't use, fair enough it doesn't know that. But what
about it needs a reboot?

I'm also curious why gdm is still running once I've logged in. I see the
user-switch stuff but I'm just wondering. I mean rebooting isn't the end
of the world but man it sure happens a lot now