packages requiring me to reboot...

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 16 17:11:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:

> Maybe this is a feature that needs to be addressed in the rpm layer or
> something so that upgrades can have multiple effects with regards to needing
> a reboot. I'm not sure how PK gets the request to reboot from a package, but
> I'm wondering about it.

It doesn't get it from the pkg. It uses the updateinfo.xml metadata that
is generated by our update processing system that is called 'bodhi'.

You can see this data using the yum-security plugin.

> seems like a package basically has complex upgrade issues, so we reboot. Are
> there other tags packages can have other than reboot? Should there be? etc
> etc..

No.

> I am an advanced user, and manage a handful of servers and workstations, so
> yes I don't have to reboot. I'm just wondering about the reboot 'feature'
> usage patterns I'm seeing.

And again. PK is not designed for you. The 'reboot often' solution is not
FOR you.

I said this earlier on another subject but you shouldn't be shocked that
camels are slow swimmers.

-sv