Features/ArchitectureSupport - changing what we build for

King InuYasha ngompa13 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 02:06:49 UTC 2009

"Pentium Pro or better" is pretty reasonable. AFAICT, if I look really hard,
the earliest PC I can buy around here is the first generation Pentium II
(pre MMX). Most OSes do not support the i586 arch unless it's specifically
geared towards older PCs or firewall distros. Linux mainstream distros seem
to be unusually keen on remaining utterly backwards compatible as far as
CPUs go. I personally think going that far back is unreasonable if it isn't
explicitly stated in the goals of the project itself. For example, Damn
Small Linux can remain arched at i386/i486, because its goal is to run on
older machines as well as newer ones. Ubuntu or Fedora don't really have any
business running on older machines, but Ubuntu is exempt because of their
shared base with Xubuntu, which IS aimed for older machines. OpenSUSE Linux
(how I despise thee *hisses*) runs primarily on i586 arch, with the
exception of the kernel and a few other packages; however, in practice it
doesn't run on a Pentium I. Honestly, I think Fedora needs to stop
bottlenecking its performance by not optimizing its code for i586 or i686. I
would prefer the code to be optimized to i686 when built as RPMs.