RFC: Disabling blinking cursor by default

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Tue Feb 3 23:13:53 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 14:07 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> what other X apps have blinking cursors. did I miss a terminal
> emulator of merit.?
> All the other X based terminal emulators I just installed default to
> no blink.

I'm talking about any editor, not necessarily a terminal emulator.
Just open a editor, create an email, etc.

In any such window that expects input, the cursor blinks ONLY IF
the window has the focus. Otherwise it doesn't.

If the window has focus, you are doing something in there, so
the blinking works well to tell you where the insertion point is.

If you are just reading a PDF document as was suggested before,
there isn't any blinking cursor anywhere so what are we saving?

Why is it a good idea to treat terminals any different from any
other editor waiting for your input?

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.