DVD (video) and Fedora

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Feb 4 23:59:11 UTC 2009

On 2009-02-04 at 18:11:02 -0500, Matthew Woehlke
<mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Just what are you supposed to use instead of DVD's? Do you really expect
> all Fedora users (in the U.S. anyway) to boycott watching movies on
> their computers?

>From a purely legal perspective, the only way Linux users can legally
watch encrypted DVD movies on their Linux computer is to purchase
proprietary software such as PowerDVD or LinDVD. Hooray for the DMCA!

Since Fedora isn't about to start willfully breaking US Federal Law, nor
are we going to start including proprietary software, we have no option
for Fedora users at this time.

<cue for someone in Europe to speak up>

~spot