2009-02-05 - Fedora Test Day - ext4 default fs

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Thu Feb 5 16:23:04 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 10:11 -0600, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:
>
> > I'm in #fedora-qa right now, and I don't see anyone else in there.
>
> 78 people when I look!  (on freenode.net?)
>
> > Anyway, I've actually been using ext4 since F9, and I've never had a
> > problem.  I've actually done several of the test-cases in the course of
> > using ext4, with the exception of the LVM ones, and I've never had a
> > problem related to ext4.
> >
> > I also use ext4 on two external hard drives, one is SATA while the other
> > is IDE, one through firewire (IDE) the other through USB (SATA), again,
> > no filesystem problems whatsoever.  I formatted them both through
> > gParted and through the command-line, and again, no problems.
> >
> > I realize this isn't exactly test-case scenario, but I suppose I was
> > wondering if the tests might not need to be more nuanced...?
>
> Yep the initial tests were all sort of install related; on the other
> hand as far as I know all stock benchmarks/tests pass already (IBM tests
> this in an automated framework), so to some degree I'm interested in
> people using their own unique filesystem-intensive workloads, to see how
> things fare.
>
> However,any suggestions of things you'd like to see tested are welcome!
>
> -Eric

I'm not seeing anyone on #fedora-qa, and I'm in 9 other rooms on
freenode.  Is that possible, normally?  Let me try again.

But as for specific tests, maybe we can do things like upgrading from
ext4 (I did that too on my laptop, no problems), resizing or growing the
filesystem, fscking the system (literally), and other things.  Then, of
course, there are load tests and just throwing things at the FS and
ensuring everything works fine.  I would think those are the issues that
will crop-up later if there are any problems.

Again, I've been using ext4 full-time on my laptop and now two external
drives, and it's working perfectly, thank God.  So much faster too...

Basil Mohamed Gohar
abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
www.basilgohar.com