Creating fresh fedora discs outside of Fedora itself

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Sun Feb 8 00:56:52 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-02-07 at 18:23 -0600, Jud Craft wrote:
> Hello there!  Straight to business:  it would be amazing if I could
> automatically build a fedora disc that has all the latest patches.
> Fedora Unity doesn't have a new F10-spin out yet, but it's been a few
> months since F10 release, and I'd really prefer to be updated from the
> get-go.
>
> But, I don't have Fedora installed on my computer.  Is there any way
> to it, for a casual user, from Windows?
>
> I understand I should have to use some of the Fedora (Platform?  not
> sure of the correct infrastructure term here)'s tools, because I think
> they have stuff that helps build new spins.  Revisor is one thing I've
> heard of, and it sounds great -- but it's a Fedora-only tool. :)
>
> Is there something else I could do?  Like, say, get a jidgo file for
> the F10 DVD, but point the jidgo to a current updates repository, so
> it would only grab the latest version of packages?  (I have no idea if
> this idea even makes sense -- jigdo's may not allow different sources
> of files, or they may only allow a fixed-version specified in the file
> -- I'm just guessing here).
>
> If anyone knows of a relatively easy way to do it -- command line
> tools in Windows would be okay with me -- it would be fantastic.  (I'd
> define "relatively easy" as "I can have it going in fifteen minutes,
> and then go make some dinner while it builds the image on its own").
> I'd just like a clue on where to start, if possible.
>
> If not, I guess I'll just bite the bullet and download the stock
> image, or wait for Unity.  But I was curious.

If I'm not mistake, Fedora Unity is on the cusp of releasing a new
respin with updates.  There's no guarantee that it won't be held-up due
to other technical issues, but maybe one of the team can chime in (and
not kill me for saying this).

But to answer your question, I'm almost certain there's no way to
"slipstream" an updated Fedora install from Windows.  In fact, just
pulling-down all the updated packages and composing a spin from that
would be quite difficult, as the amount of engineering required to get a
working release, with all the variables that can crop-up, is quite a
lot.

Basil Mohamed Gohar
abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
www.basilgohar.com