RFC: Disabling blinking cursor by default

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sun Feb 8 02:40:21 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-02-07 at 08:02 -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-02-07 at 10:07 -0500, Dimi Paun wrote:
> >    - replace the background picture with just black
> >   - default to a inverted color scheme (predominantly black)
>
> On modern hardware, black actually costs more power than white.  In
> order to make black, the existing white light has to be filtered.

Got my Kill-a-watt meter. I wasn't able to measure a difference between
a black screen and a white screen on my wife's eMachines m6805 laptop.
However, I measured a trashy old (1997) Sceptre 13in CRT with both solid
black and white desktop backgrounds and various resolutions and refresh
rates:

  Textmode (Black) 40W
  800x600 at 60       44W - 53W
  1024x768 at 60      47W - 57W
  800x600 at 75       49W - 58W

My ancient (1988?) Mitsubishi 26in TV ranges between 80W and 100W with
black and white screens.

So I'm definitely measuring a big difference between black and white
with CRTs. Signal bandwidth also makes a difference. Other than a few
laptops I don't own any LCDs to test though. The laptops show no
measurable difference.