FLOSS Multimedia Support in Fedora

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 22:43:39 UTC 2009

Hi,

sorry for cross-posting but I wanted all interested parties to not miss
this email ;-)

There has been some media related discussion in the -devel list and one
of the points I have taken form it is that we should promote FLOSS
multimedia and don't blame others for doing it (even if it's done in a
not ideal way)... Now, the problem is that the actual support of these
in our system is crappy. Out of the combinations of two FLOSS containers
(matroska and ogg) and two FLOSS video codecs (dirac and theora) I know
only one (ogg + theora) actually works in xine-lib (used by KDE4) which
is pathetic.

So I created a wiki page (not sure what name space to use, so I put it
under my user page for starters) [1] which tracks the situation. I don't
have much time lately due to university duties, so I put there only
things I know of and didn't researched further. So if you know of any
FLOSS container, video or audio codec, feel free to add it there. Also
feel free to reference upstream bugs about the mentioned issues. The
videos used for reference testing are available at my fedora people page
[2].

Thanks,
Martin