Question on /var/run, tmpfs and initscripts

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Feb 10 21:37:49 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've been optimizing a system for flash, and wanted to have /var/run
be a tmpfs mount, so that these writes to not wear down the flash/ssd.

I noticed only a few initscripts create their own directory in /var/run/
if they need it.

I've read http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FCNewInit and
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FCNewInit/Initscripts but neither one
mentions anything about /var/run being tmpfs. Browsing the FSB does
not yield anything either.

Should I consider it a bug if an initscript is using a subdirectory
in /var/run/ but does not check/create it on being called with start?

And is there a convention for when to use files directly in /var/run/
and when to create a subdirectory?

Paul