[RFC] disable OSS sound support

Kyle McMartin kyle at mcmartin.ca
Fri Feb 13 15:45:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:39:02AM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> If there's no technical replacement possible?  OSS makes some
> assumptions that simply can't really be made anymore.  The only way to
> put pressure on those apps to fix their code (and start using ALSA) is
> to pull the support for OSS.  Otherwise people will just go on using the
> apps and nothing will ever get better.  Same sort of thing with V4L1;
> it's a horribly, horribly broken API that simply does not meet the needs
> of todays applications; if it sticks around forever then there's no
> incentive to update V4L1 stuff to use V4L2.

This is all part of shipping a userspace ABI. You're never allowed
to assume it will "just go away." Which is why simply preventing the
modules from being loaded by default is preferable to removing them
from the kernel build entirely.

Jon, I would argue that this should likely be a Fedora local change,
since it's really up to the individual distro to make sure all shipped
software is up to date...

--Kyle