One source, multiple packages?

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Fri Feb 13 21:42:34 UTC 2009

David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> writes:
> On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 12:12 +0200, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>> personally I would compile twice, once enabling mysql and another time
>> pgsql, and create 2 packages. each package would install a
>> "motion-dbname" binary, and a symlink would allow access via the well
>> known name "motion". Using alternatives would allow a switch between the
>> two.

> The better option would be to make the program use loadable plugins for
> database support.

Well, yeah, but that's a bit above and beyond what a packager should do.
If he's also an upstream developer, then he should undertake that
addition with his developer hat on; but it's *well* beyond the size of
patch that a Fedora package should be carrying.

In the meantime, separate subpackages sounds like the right plan to me.
One big package would be a bad idea because of all the dependencies
it'd drag in.

			regards, tom lane