Re: Heads up: Noarch Subpackages

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 06:19:31PM +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:
You'd need to have debugedit and various other pieces available for the cross target and setup rpmbuild to use those instead of the native ones when cross-building. Should mostly be possible even as it is, but most likely find-debuginfo.sh and friends could use some further parametrization to make it easier to do. Or just disable the debuginfo/build-id & friends for cross-tools/libraries.

We turn off debuginfo completely at the moment.
I don't. Instead, in my cross-tool packages, I hack the find-debuginfo.sh etc. to not look into directories which are known not contain "native binaries".

> It's arguably not
useful for cross targets,
Depends on what you are referring to. cross-tools are native applications, therefore "debuginfos" are useful for them (More accurately: As part of Fedora having them is a MUST).

Whether debuginfos are useful for target applications/libraries is a different matter. It also depends on these package's use-cases.

Note that some packages could build binaries for several architectures
at once, and would need to generate separate debuginfo for them.
An important group of such packages are one-tree-style built GCC+libc packages. They typically contain target-libraries and host (here: Linux) applications (+libraries)

Ralf