Re: Power Management

On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 19:02 -0500, brad longo wrote:
> As I'm sure most of you know, leaving your laptop plugged in and
> charging with a full battery charge is harmful for the battery.

No, it isn't. Where did you get that idea?

It's very harmful if you're using a charger which doesn't figure out
when the battery's full and switch to trickle charge mode but just keeps
dumping full charge power in - you'll kill the battery in short order
and, if you're lucky, set stuff on fire too. However, I know of not a
single laptop ever shipped with such a dumb charger. All laptops have
smart chargers, which sense when the charge is complete. Leaving the
laptop plugged in while fully charged is a perfectly normal use case
that all manufacturers expect and design for.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey