3g/dialup usability

Is anybody still using the gnome modem lights applet for connecting
and monitoring?
the functionality seems to have been replaced by NetworkManager and
the system monitor applet for a while now.
Although I have never initiated a modem connection with NM, It's been
so long that I forgot what the handshake sounded like.
On a side note the monitor applet is not showing network activity but
the application is, at least with 3g.