[RFC] disable OSS sound support

King InuYasha ngompa13 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 01:33:44 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com>wrote:

> Olivier Galibert (galibert at pobox.com) said:
> > > Nonsense. Try running an a.out executable on a current GNU/Linux.
> >
> > CONFIG_HAVE_AOUT and CONFIG_IA32_AOUT are still there in the kernel
> > configuration.  Your point is?
>
> ... and we disable them. So, why is disabling them OK, and disabling
> OSS not?
>
> Bill
>
> --

Because, a.out format is just a binary format, which is relatively easy to
replace, while OSS is something that deals with hardware. In some cases
(rare as it is), ALSA just doesn't work while OSS _does_ work. A case in
point, one of my desktops has a VIA board, which breaks horribly in ALSA
with its integrated audio. However, OSS works fine with it. PulseAudio can
output to OSS as well as ALSA, right? In cases like this, I usually default
PulseAudio to the OSS sink instead of the ALSA one. ALSA isn't the end all
sink solution. If we want to disable it, we need to be certain that
everything is on par with OSS or better. ALSA just isn't there yet, sorry
people....

P.S: It's annoying having to manually move my post below quoted bits in
Gmail, is there an automatic way to change the behavior of reply formatting?