config.guess manufacturer string?

In a nutshell: what, if anything, should we do about this?

[pmatilai localhost redhat-rpm-config]$ sh F-8/*/config.guess
x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
[pmatilai localhost redhat-rpm-config]$ sh devel/*/config.guess
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

[pmatilai localhost redhat-rpm-config]$ setarch i386 sh F-8/*/config.guess
i686-redhat-linux-gnu
[pmatilai localhost redhat-rpm-config]$ setarch i386 sh devel/*/config.guess
i686-pc-linux-gnu

Up to some point around F9, Fedora (and before that RHL) carried patched versions of config.guess, typically deployed through %configure copying it over default config.guess from auto*foo, which would emit "redhat" as the manufacturer string.

My reading of http://sourceware.org/autobook/autobook/autobook_17.html is that the manufacturer part of the configuration name is the manufacturer of the CPU, not "OS vendor" so the former "redhat" was always incorrect. I don't know the history behind the decision to stomp "redhat" in there to begin with nor why it was then dropped later on. But having gotten used to it, people occasionally think the "unknown" (or "pc" for that matter) is a bug.

Thoughts? Just leave it up to config.guess upstream like it is now, case closed, or are there some actual reasons other why it should be something else?

	- Panu -