config.guess manufacturer string?

Stepan Kasal skasal at redhat.com
Wed Feb 18 18:05:35 UTC 2009

Hello,

> [...] Regardless of whether the redhat is
> there or not, %configure should be setting --build and --host at least
> the same as --target.

right.[1]

Unless cross-building, build and host should be the same.
Unless building a cross-tool, host and target should be the same.
(And unless building a tool, like a compiler or a linker, the value
of target is irrelevant.)

So for usual Fedora development, all three should be the same, which
is best done by specifying --build only.  (The other two then default
to the same.)

rpm's %configure should not specify --host and --target.

I guess rpm has to support cross compiling and/or building
cross-tools.  But it would be IMHO better to separate the two cases.
I mean that %configure would contain

	./configure --build=%{_build} %{?cross_configure_opts} ...

Where cross_configure_opts would get defined to a non-nil value only
in the mnetioned special cases.

Have a nice day,
	Stepan

[1] I noticed that while writing the previous mail but I did not want
to broaden the topic.