x86_32 yum $basearch

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 20 15:37:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 10:31 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

> Or you could just have:
>
> x86
> x86_64
> ppc
> ppc64
> sparc
> sparc64
>
> etc.
>
> Naming repos after specific arches just seems like pain.  This is
> one area where ppc does things right.  You don't see things like:

I wasn't naming them after specific  arches. I was saying  we can use
symlinks to solve the arch complexity  and the confusion with what
$basearch should be vs what pkgs are in the repo.

> for ppc32, or:
>
> 970
> power3
> power4
> power5
>
> for ppc64.
>
> I'll probably get the "tradition" and "you don't know what you're
> talking about" arguments thrown at me.  My opinions won't change :).

Interesting. I don't know what 'tradition' you're talking about. But
knowing that your opinions won't change makes me less likely to continue
discussing it w/you.

-sv