Any solution to the mock / gcc -m32 bug yet?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sat Feb 21 16:54:58 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-02-21 at 09:30 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> I asked about this a few months ago:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-October/msg00371.html
>
> I've got another package (odcctools, not yet in Fedora).  This is a
> large morass of old C code dating back to the Mach kernel, and it
> makes lots of 32 bit assumptions.  No one compiling this has even
> attempted to fix these issues, and the general advice is to compile it
> with "gcc -m32".  The programs don't use lots of memory, and don't
> need to run quickly.
>
> I can get it to build in mock fedora-rawhide-x86_64 by adding:
>
>   BuildRequires:  /usr/include/gnu/stubs-32.h
>   %ifarch %{ix86}
>   BuildRequires:  /usr/lib/gcc/i586-redhat-linux
>   %endif
>
> My understanding is this won't work in Koji.
>
> Another way might be to do:
>
>   ExclusiveArch:  %{ix86} ppc
>
> If I go the second route, will the package be installable on x86_64?
>
> Rich.

The only "multiarch" compiles we do right now are for bootloaders, ie
grub and syslinux.  They only require things from the 32bit glibc-devel
package and in koji there is a special 'glibc32' package that is an
x86_64 rpm in the repos, that has a copy of the 32bit stuff needed.  I'd
prefer we didn't extend that hack, in fact koji upstream is looking at
ways they could hardcode a few packages to have both ix86 and x86_64
packages put into the x86_64 repos that koji makes (likewise ppc64,
s390x, so on so forth).  Not full multilib as that would be very time
consuming, but just enough to kill the fake packages.

If your package was built in x86_64 but with access to the 32bit
content, what is the resulting rpm, is it x86_64, or ix86?  If it's
ix86, the "best" thing would likely to exclusivearch it to ix86, and
file a ticket for a multilib hardcoding so that it'll be copied into the
x86_64 repo, like wine is.  I also hate these hacks, as I'd rather see
effort put into making the code work, if the software itself is
generally useful.  If its not generally useful, then does it really
belong in Fedora, let alone hacked around to force it to be multilib ?

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!