Re: Referring to rpmfusion on Fedora project wiki?

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 8:55 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam redhat com> wrote:
> After all, there's nothing illegal about the proprietary NVIDIA or ATI
> drivers, but the Wiki doesn't talk about how to install those (as far as
> I can see, anyway).

There are people who believe that the binary drivers are in fact GPL
violations and thus illegal to distribute.  Here's a good discussion
from 2006 as to why the FSF thinks that these things violate the GPL:

http://kororaa.org/index.php?entry=entry060614-184527

All things being equal, and with no actual court case which has ruled
on the issue...It's sort of difficult for the Fedora Project to
completely discount the FSF opinion on the matter.  Sure the FSF's
opinion could be wrong on this particular score. But they sort of have
a track record with regard to GPL compliance that would suggest that
to be highly unlikely.  As a project we certainly do not want to give
the impression that we encourage violating the GPL...even if its a
disputed grey area like kernel modules.

-jef