Status of gconf -> dconf

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue Feb 24 17:34:32 UTC 2009

 On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 15:35 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> I didn't say DConf, or the current GConf implementations were good, I
> said that one-small-file-per-config-option is absolutely unworkable.

What's this /proc/sys/ thing...

Yes, current filesystems are not optimized for lots of small files. But
absolutely unworkable? That's absurd.

> As for propagating new defaults, or mandatory options (like GConf is
> able to do), I don't see how a one-file-per-option would solve that
> problem.

You solve that problem the way it's been done for decades. Config files
in /etc/ that override anything the user sets. The on-disk format isn't
even relevant to this particular problem.