Installing with separate /home partition & bug #150670

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu Feb 26 04:54:04 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 13:59 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 13:35:49 -0800,
> >   Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> >> That's really rather big. How'd you hit that? Are you sure you don't
> >> have some specific thing taking up a lot of space? What's du or baobab
> >> or something tell you?
> >
> > I have all of the different language stuff installed which adds quite a
> > bit. I don't actually use anything except English, but I like to check
> > for conflicts, as occasionally there will be conflicts that only appear
> > in a subpackage for a specific language.
> >
> games are something you'd see on a desktop install and those can take up
> quite a bit of room.

Also consider how much free space you need on / to perform a
"preupgrade". Hint: a lot.

I really don't think automatically splitting /home is a good idea. Any
heuristic is just that, heuristic. It's inevitably going to fail in some
cases. The kind of people who just go with defaults are just the kind of
Aunt Tillie's we don't want hitting such heuristic failures. Those smart
enough to size / for their intended purpose aren't the ones using
defaults.