Ready for new RPM version?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu Feb 26 17:35:47 UTC 2009

Are we ready to consider a brand new RPM version for F11, amidst all this
mass-rebuild-for-strong-hash chaos and just days to go to development
freeze?

We just put out first rpm 4.7.0 beta:
http://lists.rpm.org/pipermail/rpm-announce/2009-February/000016.html.
This is nothing like the 4.4.2.x -> 4.6.0 leap-of-faith upgrade last year
but it's still non-trivial amount of changes to get the kind of memory use
and performance improvements that 4.7.0 has, which is why it's not just
4.6.1.

The wording of Fedora Feature policy pretty explicitly singles out each
RPM upgrade to be a Feature... I would like to hear a preliminary opinion
on it: if everybody is going to be an outright "NO!" then I'm not going to
waste my time with writing up a Feature page. If it's "maybe" or "it
depends" then ok, will submit as a feature in time for tomorrows FESCo
meeting.

So, should I bother with a RPM 4.7 feature page or not?

 	- Panu -