Ready for new RPM version?

John Reiser jreiser at BitWagon.com
Thu Feb 26 19:41:41 UTC 2009

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Panu Matilainen (pmatilai at laiskiainen.org) said:
>> So, should I bother with a RPM 4.7 feature page or not?

> - does it change the output package format in any way that would
>   make packages unreadable by prior versions?

If the output package format is not 100% usable by previous versions of rpm
(all the way back to the rpm that was in the original Fedora 9 release)
then such a change is forbidden without explicit migration and
compatibility features.  Not only would that require a feature page,
it requires testing for a full release cycle.