Ready for new RPM version?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sat Feb 28 02:17:38 UTC 2009

> Look - lots of Fedora people are developers, yes? Do the X.org
> developers run X.org 7.4, do you think? Do you run the last stable
> release of any application you write, or do you use the latest code you
> just pushed into git? In most cases, the answer is that you use the
> latest code. Why? So you know when you *broke* something, and you can
> fix it. You wouldn't run an app by writing the code, throwing it at a
> compiler, seeing that the build worked and throwing it into git, then
> never running it but just running the last stable release, and hoping
> the code you just threw at the development branch worked. At least, I'd
> really *hope* you don't.
>
> Why should the distro be any different? Why do you think it's a good
> idea to develop something without using it?

Small point here.  X developers may run their upstream latest X, but
that's because they want just the unstable X, nothing else unstable.  If
they were doing it on rawhide and things crashed, is it because of the
new X code, or some other breakage in rawhide?  What if they can't even
test X bring up because glibc is busted?  It's quite easy to say you're
going to run the latest and greatest for your little world of influence
and your package set, but to properly develop it you have to have a
stable platform to start with, to know if the changes you're making and
the effects you're seeing are from your software vs something else
entirely.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!