Ready for new RPM version?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Feb 28 02:40:00 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 21:24 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

> So what exactly are you going to JFD?  So far evangalizing isn't getting
> you very far.

He says, boldly. You haven't given it much of a chance, have you? This
has been going, what, a couple of hours? I don't give up that fast, I'm
afraid.

>   Are you going to:

> 1) Do something from a test/QA standpoint to help people know when rawhide
>    is somewhat stable?

Yes, I'm going to run it and complain loudly when bits of it break. I'll
also fix the ones I can, where needed.

> 2) Do something to help flag badly broken rawhide composes so people don't
>    waste valuable time updating to known broken stuff?

See above. I'm going to run Rawhide and when it's screwed, for me, I'll
say so. This will be useful to anyone else who may be affected by the
same issues as me. When you have lots of people running the code, you
have lots of people shouting when it's broken. So, it's flagged.

> 3) Anything other than invite people to join in the pain that can be
>    rawhide without actually doing something to lessen that pain and make
>    the distro _better_?

I've been saying the whole time that my whole point is that if more
people use Rawhide, including the people who are actually *making*
Rawhide, the pain will be lessened.

Look, I used to maintain a few hundred packages for MDV, and I made damn
sure not to break them egregiously. I'm happy to package stuff for
Fedora too, where there's a need (so far I haven't come across anything
I use that's under-maintained or orphaned, or not packaged, though). I'd
be happy to work on fixing bugs in things where I could, although I'm
not a coder. But that's not what I've been asked to do. I've been asked
to be a community guy. My *job* is basically to evangelize. I'm not here
to write code, believe it or not. :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey