emacs fan help with packaging .el

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Sun Jan 4 21:42:18 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 16:30 +0000, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> 2009/1/4 Chitlesh GOORAH <chitlesh.goorah at gmail.com>:
>
> Another aside: Other the past few months I've noticed that many
> packages don't create a separate emacs-foo subpackage but rather use a
> trick with %triggerin to drop elisp files into place when emacs is
> installed. I also think this should be discussed and documented in the
> packaging guidelines as an alternative when a package only has 1 or 2
> elisp files.
>
> A further aside: I think the emacs guidelines should only insist on
> separate emacs-foo-el sub-packages when there are a large number of
> .el files. Perhaps. Maybe.

What happens when one installs a package with .el files and installs
emacs later?  How would one go about getting the .el files for your
package in that case?

In the case of subpackages, I'd be able to just yum list \*emacs\* to
see what I need to add after the fact.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences