sound problems

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Jan 6 07:28:11 UTC 2009

On 06.01.2009 06:10, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Conrad Meyer wrote:
>> Why not put that work into Fedora / RPM Fusion? Seems a waste to
>> contribute to an incompatible 3rd-party repo.
> Fedora does not allow kernel modules, and I think RPM Fusion is also the
> wrong place for experimental upgrades to modules which are included in
> Fedora kernels.

Tend to agree here. Getting the fixes into the Fedora-Kernel is the way
forward. As that's what cebbert did with the latest F10 kernels afaics:

$ rpm -q kernel-2.6.27.9-159.fc10.x86_64 --changelog | grep -B 1 -A 5 -i
1.0.18
* Mo Dez 08 2008 Chuck Ebbert <cebbert at redhat.com> 2.6.27.7-139
- ALSA 1.0.18a
   Dropped patches:
     linux-2.6-alsa-ac97-whitelist.patch
     linux-2.6-alsa-ac97-whitelist-AD1981B.patch
     linux-2.6-alsa-revo51-headphone.patch
     linux-2.6-olpc-speaker-out.patch

thx for that cebbert!

> ALSA snapshots are something for an unstable repository,
> which neither Fedora nor RPM Fusion have. (Kinda like the stuff in
> kde-redhat unstable.)

*Hint, hint:* A lot of people requested a RPM Fusion unstable repo (and
I think it would be good to have one), but nobody stepped forwarded yet
to lay the groundwork for it -- e.g. discuss layout, rules, infra, and
all those other details that need to be sorted out before it such a repo
is started.

> So in this case, putting them into
> ATrpms's "bleeding" repo makes a lot of sense.

Normally yes, but not if the latest Fedora kernel already includes the
same Alsa, then providing (nearly) the same in a different place is just
wasting time and leads to confusion among users.

CU
knurd