sound problems

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Jan 6 13:40:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 02:14:50PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
> > I don't want to rehash the discussion there, but I'm under the
> > impression that you don't know the history of it
>
> Oh I do. That doesn't mean it wasn't a mistake. ;-) Nor that it's a good
> idea to continue on that path.
>
> > and that you think this is just for personal pride or whatever.
>
> ... yet ...
>
> > FWIW rpmfusion is a 3rd party repo, very much like Dag, Dries,
> > PlanetCCRMA, CentOS Extras, KB, ATrpms etc. I'm not placing any
> > authority hierarchy upon any of these, and I'm expecting similar from
> > the other repo maintainers, of course.
>
> Sense the contradiction there? You're expecting the RPM Fusion community
> which includes dozens of packagers to treat your 2-person repository as an
> equal and you claim it's not personal pride?
>
> See, I maintain a small repository myself
> (http://repo.calcforge.org/fedora/ - mainly because those packages haven't
> been cleaned up for review in Fedora or RPM Fusion yet), but I would never
> expect that repository to be equivalent in importance to RPM Fusion.

Please stop placing hierarchies. The begining of rpmfusion was when
Ville asked me for livna and atrpms to merge at a time when livna had
lost almost all packagers.

The end result is a stronger livna renamed, but it stil shouldn't
allow anyone to become arrogant and place itself over others, pride or
non-pride.

And ATrpms is not just two packagers. Paulo is a excellent packager,
but there are others packaging other stuff, be that afs,
suspend/tuxonice, voip apps etc. All in all there are 16 people with
write access to the build server. Personally I doubt that rpmfusion is
any bigger than ATrpms in consumer space. I think both repos play in
the same league.

Anyway, this is not about mine-is-bigger-than-yours. Actually ATrpms
is known for trying to help small repos as well to level up to the
other ones. See for example the common bugzilla I had setup.

Please stop placing yourself above the others and dropping the burden
of compatibility on them. If you want comaptibility between 3rd party
repos, then please acknowledge that it is a two-way street.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net