git-* commands in /usr/libexec/git-core/

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Wed Jan 7 13:43:28 UTC 2009

Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 4:21 AM, Bryn M. Reeves <bmr at redhat.com> wrote:
>> I guess it depends how much we care about being close to upstream for this.
>> If it's worth the effort to move these to libexec, then perhaps putting
>> compatibility symlinks in place for a couple of releases (with a clear
>> relnote that they will be removed in a future release and scripts need
>> updating) could be a way to handle the transition?
>
> Adding symlinks does nothing to help, it just delays the pain because
> people won't read the release notes or won't bother to fix their
> scripts until the symlinks disappear.  Fixing the scripts is trivial,
> and backwards compatible to boot.

No, but having an entry in the release notes for a release or two gives
something more concrete to point at and say "I told you so" than an
announcement on the fedora-devel lists which are not read by most users
(yes, I know that this was announced three years ago upstream, but the
same comment regarding users not reading things applies).

Since we carried the package with non-upstream default paths for these
files for some time, I think we (Fedora) have some responsibility to
clearly tell our users that we are now bringing things back into line
with upstream.

I don't have any issue either way, my scripts have long used the new
conventions but I think this would be helpful to at least some.

Regards,
Bryn.