Rawhide status 1/13

darrell pfeifer darrellpf at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 17:48:08 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 08:34, Mike Chambers <mike at miketc.net> wrote:

> How does rawhide seem to be running in the last week/days or so?  When I
> messed with it few days ago, it seems slow and not as responsive (yes I
> am aware at some point, debug type services are turned on and make it a
> little slower during testing).  It seemed firefox was not showing pages
> correctly, as in some of the blocks/frames within the page would be a
> bunch of them, like tiled or something?  Thought I saw few others
> mention this before.
>
> In other words, it running same, better, no idea what I am referring to,
> it picking up steam and working pretty decent for being rawhide?

There was some serious oopsing in recent kernels which caused some slowness
and rather large /var/log/messages. Today's kernel is much better.

I had the same X problem. The intel driver has been flaky for lots of folks
since November-ish. If your intel card is misbehaving, I had success with
the latest drivers by

a)Turn off compiz
b) In your xorg.conf, add
   Option "EXANoComposite" "true"

My network seems quite slow. I think the problem is that dns queries are
seeing A rather than AAAA (or vice versa) responses and there appears to be
a timeout associated with that. The slowdown comes and goes with updates to
bind.

For the most part, today's rawhide is usable for me.

darrell