comps discussion at fudcon and the future

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 20:18:06 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 10:51 AM, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> We do suggest adding some new metadata (probably originating at the
> pkgdb) that will allow us to have keyword/tags for pkgs and ultimately
> tag-cloud browse them, if necessary. It will also afford us additional
> terms to search against for better search results.
>
> Fun, huh?

I think the tag cloud idea is probably one of the best organizational
ideas worth experimenting with right now as an aid to end user usage
needs which focus primarily on application installation.

I think a more heretical categorization and classification of the
software package may have merit as a reference service for developers
looking for the 'right' development library for their project. But I
think that sort of thing would really requiring developing informed
opinions about  mature library classification concepts as a guide.  We
could spend years debating traditional brick and mortar library
cataloguing system and still not come to agreement over adapting Bliss
or Library of Congress style classification.

Just a couple of questions. As a percentage of our current packaging catalog...

How many packages provide an executable in the standard paths (and libexec ) ?

How many packages provide a .desktop file and appear in the menus?

These are the subset of package I would expect crowd tagging to be
most popular for.

-jef