IRC in Fedora (was: Re: [Fedora-spins] Spins SIG Meeting(s) / Agenda!)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Jan 15 10:28:59 UTC 2009

(removing the spins list)

On 15.01.2009 11:04, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>
>> We've beaten that horse during FUDCon and the Spins Process is now
>> separate from the Feature Process, although with the primary features of
>> the Feature Process such as Freezes and Wrangling.
>
> Such decisions shouldn't be taken at FUDCon because it automatically
> excludes people who cannot be present at the event.  You should use the
> events only to discuss the issues and make the decisions over mailing
> lists or irc where others can participate as well.

Your first sentence IMHO holds true for IRC as well -- there are a lot
of people that don't want to go on IRC or simply can't, as meetings
might happen in the middle of the night in their timezone or while they
are on work without access to IRC.

IMHO IRC has become a really big problem for Fedora -- we should use it
a whole lot less for working out decisions, not more(¹).

CU
knurd

(¹) I'm well aware that meeting on IRC often help a lot to bring things
forward and make a decisions; I don't want to stop that -- that's
actually why I wrote "working our decisions" and not "making decisions"
above; but things should be discussed in public on a different, a bit
more time-independent medium as well, to make sure that those people
that can't or don't want to join IRC meetings can share their view and
know what and why something happens