comps discussion at fudcon and the future

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Sat Jan 17 01:12:06 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
> > they don't help the problem at all, they just introduce a whole other
> > set of difficulties as to what the default behavior should be when we
> > hit them.
>
> Here's how I see things (which I believe is close if not identical to how it
> works on Debian):
>
> Recommended = default on.
> Suggested = default off.
> The user can customize it to have both on or both off.

But I might want all extra goodies that enhance (La)TeX, while I want only
bare-bones vim (or the other way around). So for this to make any sense, it
would have to be a per-package setting. Or even more fine grained ("I want
all CLI enhancements but no GUI stuff for..."). That way lies utter
madness.

> And in both cases, removing a package with only a soft dep should not remove
> the dependent package (except if an option to treat them as hard deps is
> set).

What use is the suggested package if the package it is supposed to enhance
isn't there? What happens if the same package enhances several others
(i.e., recommend emacs together with each programming language)?
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513