Wrong security attributes. Maybe a bug?

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Mon Jan 19 17:49:48 UTC 2009

"Joshua C." <joshuacov at googlemail.com> writes:
> Recently I saw that I can modify/delete any file in my home directory.
> Even if it is owned by root and is set as 444. If I'm the owner of the
> directory these files are in, I can do whatever I want with them
> regardless of their owner and attributes.

You can delete or rename anything in a directory you have write
permissions on --- this is not actually affecting the file contents,
only the directory's link.  (This has been standard Unix behavior since
the dawn of time or thereabouts.  For justification consider the
possibility that your directory entry is only one of several hardlinks
to the file.)  If you can modify the file *contents* then it would be
interesting.

			regards, tom lane