pam_console

Jack Tanner ihok at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 19 19:07:57 UTC 2009

Bill Nottingham <notting <at> redhat.com> writes:

> How is positing a change in underlying, not-user-visible-at-all, system
> infrastructure to a user's forum a worthwhile endeavor? After all, the
> change to set sound device permissions from HAL was done years ago.

It's still visible to this user. Even though sound device permissions are set
through HAL *by default*, pam_console is still a perfectly serviceable
alternative. Now, you're saying you want to take this alternative away. That
places the onus on you to make this transition bearable. (I'm not arguing
against hal/ck on technical merits, just their practical ease-of-use today.)

> http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/hal-spec/hal-spec.html#access-control
>
> Examples are in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor - look at
> 00-thinkfinger.fdi, or 20-acl-management.fdi. It's not necessarily the
> most well documented interface, but it should be stable.

Wow. That's a lot of stuff to wade through. How about a tutorial, or a
"cookbook"? I don't have a 00-thinkfinger.fdi, that's probably a
Thinkpad-only file.