Trying to debug nfs install issue, increase verbosity of nfs server?

Steve Dickson SteveD at redhat.com
Tue Jan 20 14:59:03 UTC 2009

Hey,

Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 08:24:43 -0500, Steve Dickson wrote:
>
>> Plus the man page clear states mountd "is protected by the
>> tcp_wrapper library" which was broken and need to be fixed
>> (something the Red Hat security guys found).
>
> Maybe I'm alone in this, but this is the first that I've heard that
> using tcp_wrappers equals 'does not work at all without reverse name
> lookups', especially if there are no entries at all in hosts.allow
> and hosts.deny.

Maybe I misstated it... but in this particular usage of tcp wrappers
a reverse name lookup is required when one, there is an entry and
two, that entry is a host name since there is only an IP address
to start with.

But I do agree, if there are no entries in either file, then
a reverse lookup is not needed... which was the bug...

steved.