F10 and no root login - impossible to maintain systems!

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Thu Jan 22 10:58:44 UTC 2009

On 2009-01-21, 15:53 GMT, Benjamin LaHaise wrote:
> Even then, with F10 using a 0 second wait at the grub prompt,
> it's almost impossible to catch grub in time to specify the
> runlevel or init=/bin/sh.

OK, is THIS the problem? Then don't babble about disallowing root
login (which is nonsense and your repeating won't make it true
ever). I don't like this default either, but pressing 'a'
repeatedly will get you to the kernel command prompt. And the
problem is not 0 timeout (there is 5 IIRC), but the 'hiddenmenu'
option which makes grub menu invisible.

Matej