X Problem in Fedora 10

Jiri Skala jskala at redhat.com
Thu Jan 22 16:06:07 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 10:32 -0500, Warren Togami wrote:
> Casimiro de Almeida Barreto wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Yesterday I recovered a box from a crash (HD toasted). As I had to
> > reinstall OS, previous configurations were lost. This box has an old
> > video monitor (capable of 1024x768 or even 1240x1024 if you "pull
> > strings") but after reinstall I'm limited to 800x600. Since
> > /etc/X11/xorg.conf doesn't work anymore I'll be gratefull if someone
> > points out where I can reconfigure X in order to set proper parameters
> > (like VideoChip and video mode)???
> >

> Who said /etc/X11/xorg.conf doesn't work anymore?  If it exists, it uses it.

I don't think that the sentence: "If it exists, it uses it." solves
described problem.

The xorg.conf doesn't work fine after installation/upgrade. I use my
notebook (1440x900) in the dock with external LCD (1280x1024) and the
resolutions are incorrect after starting up. The resolution doesn't
match to resolution in the xorg.conf.

I use xrandr then everything is fine (for dual monitors).

But settings of xorg.conf during installation should be used and this
isn't.

Jiri