Lack of update information

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Jan 27 00:22:59 UTC 2009

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 17:29 -0600, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>
>> Should we not release any updates without a Fedora bug being filed
>> asking to upgrade to the latest upstream?
>
> That's actually not unreasonable.  The update process should be user
> driven, as in a user needs or wants something specific from the new
> upstream code, we don't just install a bot to throw whatever falls out
> of upstream directly at our users whether they want/need it or not.

Reality is: In most cases, updates are upstream driven, because Fedora is
just a small subset of an upstream's user-base. Also upstreams typically
happen to habe
the better insights in issue/bugs/defects a package might suffer from.

Therefore, if upstreams are doing a reasonable job (many do), keeping in
close sync to upstream releases means "preventive bug fixing".

The problem with this: Users don't notice the cases in which upgrades
"simply work" - They only notice the case, something already has gone wrong.

Ralf