how to show upstream changes to the user

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 13:12:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 13:57:34 +0100, Dan wrote:

> > > The keyword should be "automation". Why to copy&paste when it can be
> > > done by script. I can imagine a "hidden" field in spec (special comment
> > > like #changelog: http://....) that is transformed into a field in bodhi.
> > > It can be a macro in spec that gets evaluated before including in bodhi,
> > > etc.
> >
> > If such a thing is in the package, obviously it should be pulled
> > automatically by bodhi. You almost certainly need to copy-paste the link
> > once anyway - if the field only exists in bodhi then there's just one
> > copy-paste. Mind you, I'm not trying to shoot this down, just looking at
> > possibilities :)
>
> I am looking for possibilities too, so there is chance we will meet
> somewhere :-)

So far it smells like needless bureaucracy, which you try to advertise as
"low overhead for maintainers". Only few maintainers would be interested
in hunting for URLs of changelog web pages for minor/major releases. The
benefit would be small. Users of open source software packages, which are
sceptical of updates/upgrades, ought to fetch the source packages and take
a look at the documentation files in addition to the package changelog.
Conclusively, make it easy to fetch'n'browse the src.rpm for updates.