Draft: simple update description guidelines

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 19:20:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> Note that I don't disagree with the text that was proposed. My 2 cent: Put
> it as text into the wiki somewhere, write "best practices" ontop of it
> (avoid the words "rules" and "guidlines") and add a link to the bodhi ui
> ("best practices for filing this box with information").

Just to be clear. You are okay with documenting "best practises" but
not requiring people to use those best practises? To me its a somewhat
semantic difference between the words "guidelines" and "best
practises"  so I just want to make sure I know where you think the
line is with regard to what is too much and what is too little
instruction or guidance.

There is a tension between ease of contributor participation and
quality. Some things can certainly be automated to help relieve some
of that tension, but I'm not sure update notification text snippets
are one of those things.  If we are going to draw a line in the sand
and establish best practises, then we have to find a way to encourage
those best practises get used consistently.    And of course it would
also help if when we established any new best practise to address a
perceived deficiency we also come up with a methodology to see if the
effort to document the best practise actually helps to reduce the
occurrence of the deficiency.

-jef